Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading field values from subreports at runtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

nedcarnic

Programmer
Feb 23, 2001
US
Hello everybody,
I've been trying to find a quick remedy to my problem with no success.
I'm using VB6EE and RDC8 and have imported client's stand alone report into the app. The report runs fine although it's quite a hog. There are 4 subreports and the main report and there are some shared variables set up.
I need to be able to pick up field values (Crystal Report's FieldObject) from the report (at runtime) and export it to custom Excel Worksheet. I managed to pick up all the fields from the main report, including detail section fields using main report's SectionX_Format event (x = section number).
When I use the same approach for any of the subreports I am able to access the FieldObject in question but it ALWAYS returns "empty" value.

Is it possible to retrieve field (or for that matter text or any other) values from RDC8 subreports as they are being processed (formatted).

Thanks in advance,
Ned

nedcarnic: The short answer is you can't! The slightly longer answer is that you can only 'see' formula values from a subreport if they have been set up initially in the subreport as shared variables and if you have a 'container' formula in the main report to receive the shared variable David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back