Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading directly from tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

cneirao

Programmer
Nov 5, 2002
CA
Hello:

I would like to know if its possible to SAS (maineframe) to read directly from Tape without loadind the data on a work SAS dataset?
I have to convert a 33 million records in a multivolume tape, and stops after some 20 millions with a B37 on the WORK dataset.
It is possible to define de WORK dataset on tape as well?

Sorry I did not see this (been away from this part of tech tips - sorry)

all you have to do is define how big your work file is in your JCL. I do not use SAS on the mainframe anymore, BUT look in the output for the card something like //sas.work (more than likely generated by the sas proc when you are running the job). Your allocation of the dataset will override your place's installation defaults (probably 20 cyl with 20 cyl extents or similar).

Just bump it big - the file will be on your temporary dasd and will go away at the end of the job - so who cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back