Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading Data from a MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisas

MIS
Jul 26, 2002
US
I've recieved a zip disk formatted for a MAC and I'm on a PC. When my zip drive attempts to read it,of course it wants to format it for a PC. I'll lose the data on the disk and I can't do that. Anybody have any ideas on how to read this disk from my PC without formatting it?

Thanks,

Lisa

Macs can read and write PC formatted Zip disks just fine, in the future you may wish to send PC formatted Zips to the other person, it simplifies transfer a lot.

It is easy to pretend to be dumb, so tha Mac has no trouble with PC disks, going the other way would require your PC to pretend to be smart, a trickier proposition.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thanks for your response, I'm not quite catching your drift though. I'm on a PC and trying to read a zip disk created on a MAC not the other way around.

Lisa

Look into MacOpener from dataviz.com or MacDrive from macdrive.com

These programs will allow you to read the Apple (HFS) file system on your PC.

As jimbopalmer stated, you may need to give the disk back the the mac-user to reformat to PC-DOS. If you are relying on the mac-user to do this, they should also make sure that their files are named properly for the PC - - pre-OSX Macs do not use filename extensions (.txt, .tif, .p65, etc...) like the PC does.

- - picklefish - -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back