Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reading CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuckagain1

Technical User
May 3, 2004
US
can someone please tell me what is the trick to being able to read CD-RWs in different drives? a user created a CD at home and when we try to access it at the office, it says that we need Veritas UDF reader to read the disk, but I can't find that program anywhere in a downloadable format......she tried to save the files a couple of different ways at home and one of the ways made the files read-only and inaccessible.......

why is it so hard to use CDs to transport files between home and office??

thanks!

There are many ways to make a CD. Choosing the wrong format, as you have found, can be frustrating.

UDF is not what you want to be using. That is a packet-writing technology that requires a burner and packet-writing software (Veritas in this case). Use Joliet instead.

Take a look here:

Keep in mind that files on the CD are "read-only". So if you still have problems opening a file on the other PC, make sure you copy the file to the hard drive first and remove the "read-only" attribute.

Good Luck!
[thumbsup2]

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Are you asking, 'how do you write Joliet'?

If so, it's a setting within your cd-writing software that you set before making the CD. After closing the session or disc, you can then take it to another PC which will treat it like any other CD-ROM disc.

Joliet is a standard format that Windows understands. Don't forget to check out that link I posted above.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

The UDF format is supplied by many CD-RW manufacturers with software support disks. Roxio's Drag-to-disc and Nero's InCD are using UDF format. Some even offer the MtRainier Format (but that effort hasn't gone anywhere I think.) Even the Drag-to-disc version for DVD-RW is using the UDF format.

There is also UDF2, which has a reader on each CD.

You can get the Adaptec UDF reader for free at several places. Just Google " UDF reader" and you'll find it. A UDF reader software will allow a CD reader to read the CD-RW discs. But as cdogg says, from a regular CD reader, the files will be seen as "read-only".

Also, some old (I mean old) CD readers can't read properly the CD-RW disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back