Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading catalog from backup tapes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advfilmssaul

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2003
US
I have been using ArcServe 2000 Enterprise with a Dell PV128T dual drive (LTO1) library for several years.

When I do a full weekend backup it takes 60 hours and 15 tapes.

I need to read in the catalog off tape from one of these backup sessions that has been pruned from the database but cannot afford to stop current backups for 60 hours while the catalog session runs.

I was thinking about getting a single LTO1 drive and hooking it up to the backup server just to do the catalog rebuild while the other backup jobs are running.

My question is... Can Arcserve 2000 read in a catalog from a single drive one tape at a time when that catalog was created by a library device capable of shuffling multiple tapes around?

Thanks

Saul

Yes, this should work but...if you are thinking of getting a single LTO-1 drive just to create a workaround, you might also consider getting a bigger library with more drives and LTO-2 or LTO-3 for a long term solution.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back