Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading BE tapes in different tapedrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter1891

Technical User
May 6, 2003
NL
Hi,

For testing purposes i'm trying to read backup tapes that were created with backup exec 9 on a storagetek 9730 with a quantum dlt 7000 drive on a HP storageworks DLTVs80 (also with another installation of BE9/different server)
When i insert the tape its starts to spin but after a few seconds it ejects, it doesnt matter if backup exec is started or not. I know the drive is ok because i can create and write/read other tapes with it and i also know for sure the before mentioned tapes are ok cause i can read them with the quantum drive.
Is this some kind of security perhaps? Anybody?

Thanks,
Peter

You can't read or write a tape that has been written to by a DLT7000 ni a VS80 drive.

AS you said nothing to do with the backup software, just the tape drive itself.

You won't even be able to overwrite those tapes - unless you get them professionally erased.

One device is a StorageTek and the other is HP, correct?

A tape from one usually won't work in the other. When I buy tapes for my HP (LTO), I have to specify LTO tapes for HP. Nothing else will work, even those "for all LTO devices".

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back