Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading a Paradox database table with VBScript

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottGS

Programmer
Aug 2, 2001
US
Hi,

I wrote a VB Script program which pulls information from three tables in a Paradox database, does some massaging and then writes records to a Visual FoxPro database. Its purpose is to transfer some order information from a program called Cyrious POS to Vista by Epicor.

I've included a fragment of the beginning of the program. It is giving this error when it hits the last line of the fragment:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not
found and no default driver specified

It works on two different Win2K machines as well as one Win98. It gives this error on a WinME (customer's) machine, as well as a different Win2K machine we have in house. I've verified that all have the latest MDAC version. None have a named ODBC data source for the
Paradox database. I've tested both with and without the Borland Data Administrator installed to no effect.

I've run out of ideas for what to check. There should not need to be an ODBC source named as it works on a machine w/o one.

I've removed options from the Open command string, taken the trailing backslash off the path, used a local (c: drive) copy of database, and one across the network. I also tried changing "driver=" to "provider=" and nothing has helped.

This worked on the machine it was developed on (Win2K) and one other, but not on the customer's machine.

Any ideas?

===================================================

Dim conCyriousData
Dim strCyDir
dim strOpenCyrious

strCyDir = "c:\pos\data3\"

set conCyriousData = WScript.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conCyriousData.Mode = adModeShareDenyWrite
strOpenCyrious = "Driver={Microsoft Paradox Driver (*.db)};DriverID=538;Fil=Paradox 5.X;DefaultDir=" & _ strCyDir & ";" & "Dbq=" & strCyDir & ";CollatingSequence=ASCII;"
msgbox("strOpenCyrious = " & strOpenCyrious)
conCyriousData.Open(strOpenCyrious)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back