Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read/Write HD takes forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

josefo123

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2005
AR
Hi!
I got a p4 2ghz, 512mb ram.
From some days till now reading or wirting to the HD will take forever. I use NTFS compressed file system.
I dont know why its so slow. My IDE is in DMA 4, 32 bit, I defragmented using windows defrag and nothing changed, used a third party defragmenter and nothing happens. I used windoctor, registry mechanic, spybot, microsoft antispy, removed everything and nothing happens, I dont see any improvement.
I dont know what else do I have to check to speedup hdd operations.
Any suggestion?
Tnx

I use NTFS compressed file system"

Can you clarify this? Compressing and decompressing files may be the time consuming problem?

"You may notice a decrease in performance when you work with NTFS-compressed files. When you open a compressed file, Windows automatically decompresses it for you, and when you close the file, Windows compresses it again. This process may decrease your computer performance."

How To Use File Compression in Windows XP

FAQ779-4784 may help.

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

I use the same file system since I got XP but this week Im having this problem. Before it would take normal time.
Also there is too much hd activity. Something that didnt hapend before.
Tnx

have you check with viruses with multiple finders?
ewido
spybot
hijackthis
ms-anivirus
adaware

Defrag your hard drive.
From a command prompt type: CHKDSK c: /f. You'll be asked if you want this to run on the next restart. Press Y and reboot. CHKDSK will check for, and attempt to fix problems with your HD.

I chequed for spyware, virus and deffreged with various tools. I also done the chkdsk.
All trouble began after installing new nvidia drivers. I dont know if it is coincidence or not :(

Try using a system restore point from before you installed the drivers. However if these are "video" drivers, then I don't see how they would be the problem.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

How is the situation when running in Safe Mode?

If it improves, try a process of elimination.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

What information is available in your Event Viewer?

The NVIDIA Display Driver Service has in the past caused different problems for different people, it can be disabled to see if that is the cause of your problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back