Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

read/write from/to access tables from vfp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatguy

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
US
Hey there folks--

I'm wondering if it's possible to read/write from/to an MS Access mdb from a VFP front end. I've been looking around, but don't even know where to begin. Can anyone point me in the right direction to start? Any particular functions to look at? Or would I have to export from Access and import to VFP?

TIA-- michael~

Hi
If it is one time convertion, exporting/importing would be the best and then have the data in VFP table. VFP tables will be several times faster than MDB.
:) ramani :)
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

first create an Access ODBC DSN pointing to the Access DataBase and use SQL passthrough from fox this is a big topic for here, but the fast answer to your question "can I front end Access tables with Fox" is yes. Steve Bowman
steve.bowman@ultraex.com

Also note that Access allows field names >10 characters so if you are converting you will need a DBC if the field names are long. "I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours..."

Hi thatguy

Try this:

I do remember sometime ago that I had a large access database to convert into a Vis Fox DBF and there was some code available and it was easy as "Copy and Paste" and run it. At the moment I cant find that particular PRG but if I do I'll post on this thread (Unless anyone else can remember the link to the Microsoft Knowledge Base?
Take care
KB When everything else is said and done, there will be nothing else to say or do

From what I hear the new version 8's cursoradaptor would let you do this.

Best
Tom Gahagan
tgahagan@charter.net

REST

If you get a chance to sit out or dance...

I hope you dance. L Wommack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back