Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read WinXP from Win98 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekEinstein

Technical User
Mar 16, 2003
US
I have a home network consisting of three computers. One with Windows 98, one with Red Hat, and one with two partitions: Windows XP and Windows ME :(. I can see all the computers from each other, but on Windows 98, I can read all but XP. I tried making a new user on XP that is the same user on 98, but no prevail. Does anyone have any ideas of what to try next?

Can you ping the xp computer by IP address? What about by name? Is there any firewall on the xp machine?

That is not the problem. I can see the XP machine from 98, but it says that I don't have "enough permission to access resource". That is why I tried making the user account.

I misunderstood, I thought you couldn't 'see' the xp machine. A permission problem is something entirely different. So the xp computer can see and be seen by the other computers in the network? If not, this might be related to your other problem with the xp computer thread586-729608.

On the xp machine, are you using simple file sharing or have you disabled it? Is the xp machine set to obtain an IP address automatically, and if so, what IP address does it get. What happens when you release and renew the ip address?

On the xp machine, NetBEUI is enabled for the network to function, file and print sharing is enabled, and it is told to get the IP address automatically.

NetBEUI really doesn't need to be there for the network to function. Unfortunately, you only answered one of my questions.

Is simple file sharing still enabled? Open a windows explorer window, Tools, Folder Options, View tab, last item in the Advanced list - enabled or not?

What IP address does the XP machine have? Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all.

What happens when you release and renew the IP address. Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew.

NetBEUI does need to be there to have the network enabled because before I installed it, neither computer could see each other.

No simple file sharing is not enabled

ipconfig /all = 0.0.0.0

ipconfig /release = IP Address for adapter Local Area Connection has already been released.

ipconfig /renew = An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection : the system cannot find the file specified.

GeekEinstein, the tool bcastner referenced above will put you on your way to solving the problems. Run that on the XP machine. Once you repair the winsock service, you will no longer need NetBEUI for the computers to see each other. This should also solve your ICS problem.

Do an ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

and post the results here.

ipconfig /release = IP Address for adapter Local Area Connection has already been released.

ipconfig /renew = An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection : the system cannot find the file specified.

Okay, lots of things going on, and they are interdpendent.

1. There is an issue with your Winsock service. The WinsockFix utility I linked above should have cleared any issues except in the instance that some of your required services are not running.

. Click Start, select Run, and type C:\WINDOWS\INF in the textbox.
. Click OK.
. Locate the Nettcpip.inf file.
. Right-click the file Nettcpip.inf and select Install from the menu.

Reboot.

2. There are some odd things that can interfere with DHCP services on a machine.

. Check that NAV is not a problem:
. Check that "hidden" firewall components are not an issue. PC-Illan, for example, will create this if you use standard default settings for the installation. Other antivirus programs can do the same thing. "Disabling" firewall products such as ZoneAlarm, Sygate and Norton is not enough to prevent issues. Either uninstall or set them up so that your local LAN is a Trusted Zone for all traffic and all traffic types.

3. I want you to carefully check that the NTFS permissions, (not the Windows Share settings), make the folders available for your LAN users. Steve Winograd has a great checklist, do not skip any steps:
4. If still no joy, re-run the WinsockFix utility.

5. If still no joy, replace the network adapter, or update the drivers for the existing one.

6. Consider again both choices from #5 above. It might be a bad NIC.

7. Do a repair reinstallation of XP:

Thank you so much!!!!
It worked perfectly. The Nettcpip.inf was the problem.

Check if the "DHCP client" service isn't stopped, otherwise you'll have the same problems !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back