Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read two files, if duplicate found ignore, otherwise print 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsemple

Programmer
Feb 25, 2005
CA
Hi,

I have 2 data files that contain 2 days worth of transactions. For example File1 contains Mon & Tues data and File2 contains Tues & Wed data. There will be some additional Tues records in File2 that were not in File1 due to the time that the file was created.

I need to be able to read the two files and compare File1 with File2. I need to print (to an output file)only the records in File2 that do not appear in File1.

man comm

vlad
+----------------------------+
| #include<disclaimer.h> |

If you wanna compare whole lines and not just some parts, that will do for totals: awk '! Seen[$0]++' file1 file2
Basically, awk 'BEGIN { while (getline <"file1") Seen[$0]=1 } ! Seen[$0]' file2

. Mac for productivity
.. Linux for developement
... Windows for solitaire

Lines are printed if
1. They are in the 2nd file; and
2. they weren't in the first file.
Code:
NR==FNR { a[$0];next }  # First file.
!($0 in a)              # Second file.

futurelet,

Thanks for the response, however, when I tried your code it didn't work out as I had expected.

I added the code to my unix script but the output file that gets created is the same as the $histfile, it doesn't pick out the unique records:

# First line reads first file.
# Second line compares to second file.
# If the record is in the second file but not in the first file then the record is printed.
awk '
NR==FNR
{a[$0];next}
!($0 in a)
' $histfile $datafile > $datafile.bak

awk '
NR==FNR{a[$0];next}
!($0 in a)
' $histfile $datafile > $datafile.bak

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Not
[tt]
NR==FNR
{a[$0];next}
[/tt]
but
[tt]
NR==FNR {a[$0];next}
[/tt]
You changed the code.

Thanks to Futurelet and PHV for setting me straight on that one line of code that I had messed up by splitting it up! It works fine now.

that's a rare site to have both of you guys thanked in the same sentence [wink]

congrats!

vlad
| #include<disclaimer.h> |

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back