Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

read receipts going into personal forlders for exchange email account

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have a user who has some personal pop3 email accounts as well as his work exchange email account set up in his outlook.

All works fine emails send and receive fine and show in the correct mail folders, except for read receipts.

He sent an email from his exchange account with a read receipt request and when the recipient sent the read reciept, the read receipt was delivered to his personal folder store for his POP accounts and not his exchange mailbox.

Why is this happening?

Thanks,
1DMF.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

Tell the user to ditch the "bypass you company anti virus and anti spam rules" POP3 account at work and save personal email stuff for home use...

It is the default delivery location at work I think - you need to reverse the order of the data folders.

And, of course, read receipts are a complete waste. Users can read the message without triggering a receipt, and can trigger a receipt without actually reading the message. To me, they hold no value, and we generally disable them to the outside world.

But Zelandakh is right. Kill the POP3 account. Plenty of HR/IP/Security reasons.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!.

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

He did remove the POP3 account in the end, by his own choice.

It doesn't solve the problem that our company employs people who have their own laptops with their own personal stuff on and then I'm meant to connect them to work so they can be a remote user.

Not ideal at all, but the boss see's it as cheap!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

MIME::Lite TLS Email Encryption - Perl v0.02 beta

He, and any other users using their personal laptops, should have a separate Outlook profile set up for work that only has the Exchange account. When he is working for the Company he connects to the work profile. When he is not working for the Company then he uses his regular Outlook profile.

He couldn't have both profiles open at the same time, but then, if he's working for you and connected inside your network he shouldn't be opening personal e-mail that bypasses your security.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

They don't like the dual profile method but I see your point, however this is his laptop not the company's, so he can do what he wants, that's the problem.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, as far as I'm concerned, their personal PC should not be allowed anywhere near our company network, period!

And the company should provide IT equipment, that is configured specifically in line with company IT policy and can ONLY be used for work purposes.

However, the MD seems to think saving £400 on not buying a company laptop for them is worth the security risk and configuration issues caused by letting them use their personal computer.

MIME::Lite TLS Email Encryption - Perl v0.02 beta

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, as far as I'm concerned, their personal PC should not be allowed anywhere near our company network, period!
Amen. And there could be legal complications if it's connecting as an end point to the network. Licensing concerns, etc.

And the company should provide IT equipment, that is configured specifically in line with company IT policy and can ONLY be used for work purposes.
Exactly.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!.

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back