Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read port: COM port not assigned...IRQ/Inerrupt prob??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwwigz

Technical User
Apr 28, 2003
GB
Hi, got a freind PC to fix, not that good, 200Mhz, but its OK for surfing the net..if he can get on it!

Tried installing a modem (Atech ATS-256) it installed, but everytime I try to connect (to BT together) i get the error:
Read port: COM port has not been assigned.

I'm not 100% sure what Im doing with interrupts and IRQ's etc....
Would the graphics card (which is on interrupt 11) conflict with the modem (if It is also on iterrupt 11)
I can get into the BIOS & change all that, but am a little lost, would really apreciate some help.
thanks

Boot to safe mode.
Remove all com ports, and modems from device mangler.
Restart, go into system BIOS, and disable com 2 (this will make it available for the modem).
Restart, and things should install.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks jim,

I have taken out all the COM ports & modems, rebooted to BIOS and disabled the COM2 (Serial 2?) port.
When it reboots, only 1 COM port (COM1) is present.
The modem drivers install & load correctly, but when I try to connect to the ISP, the dialer loads, and when I press connect, checking connections settings>OK>attempting connection - then it just goes back to the dialer.

I have managed to run a check on the modem, and it seems to pick up and hang up alright, and the line to the phone is fine.

any Ideas?

Are you using AOL, or some other proprietary dialler, or just Windows Dial-up-networking?
If it's not DUN, then call support at your ISP, as it's something with their software, as you have the modem installed correctly.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Is the modem still on IRQ 11 along with your video card? If so, change the modem to IRQ 3 (the IRQ that you free'd by disabling COM2). Reboot and try again.

pansophic

Jim:
Using the BT Together Dialer...phoned BT earlier, and they reccomended that I reinstll the dialer - they gave me a number & password to download the dailer, and it worked - so the modem works fine.
I have reinstalled the dialer, but the same thing keeps happening - when I click to dial, it starts to, then when it attempts connecting, it jumps back to the dialer screen.

panspohic:
i assume you mean change the IRQ in BIOS?
The BIOS on the PC im using is one im not used to, a graphic interface. It has the IRQ's listed 1-15 and then the option to change them from PCI to ISA
The graphics card is on the large slot...ISA if I remember?
And the modem is on a PCI (the smaller one)
There is also an otpion in the BIOS to assign an IRQ to PCI VGA card, which I have set to NO
We also have Slot priorities, DMA Channels & IRQ#

..helppp?

you know what Jim?
I have....but something is still a little suss.
I got the BT CD off my mate, removed then reinstalled the dialer....the thing is, there is no .exe to dail with, so - using DUN direct it seems to have worked.
My mate got his PC back last night, he says its connects, but IE wont connect.
so I still need to sort it out, and will...just one more thing:
Do you know of any good all round dail-up connex tweaing/optimising software that actually works?
I've tried a few, but none seem to work properly.

Wigz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back