Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read Open Error. Device is not ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgmarquez

MIS
Mar 6, 2003
US
First of all, I am delighted to find a forum that relates to Legato. I did not think that such a forum existed.
I hope I can get an answer to a problem I have and try to help others in return with other problems. This issue I have had for a couple of days already. We recently upgraded to 6.2 from 5.7. We run Networker on a W2k server. Two days ago one of my autochangers (compaq dlt7000) was acting weird so I decided to erase the configuration and recreate it. Now, every time we try to run an inventory or try to label a tape the autochanger takes a considerable amount of time to perform the task and and the end it shows the message: "Read open error. Device is not ready"
We are currently working with Legato on this issue but the tech does not seem to have a solution to it. Has anyone had this error?
Thanks in advance

J. Marquez
LAN Administrator

We had a similar problem.
The problem was cause by hardware.
The SCSI LUN id got reset to defaults and two of them clashed so the whole set of Drives were unavailable.

However if this is not your problem,
you could try, manually removing all your tapes,
shutdown netowrker, then the hardware and
(now reboot if possible)
then start up hardware and restart networker.
This works for most networker problems.

Schu,
Thanks a lot for your response. I got the problem solved. In this particular case it was also a hardware related problem. There was another autochanger recently configured on the networker server that was causing the conflict. Just removing the entries on the device manager for that other autochanger and rebooting the server took care of the problem!
Hopefully this might help others with similar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back