Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read-only Office Files; Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yalamo

Technical User
Sep 22, 2002
IL
I have Office 2000 on Win98SE

Sometimes, when I am working with Word or Excel, the application freezes (this must be a very rare occurrence for everyone else!). I then close it using ctrl-alt-del (hoping not too much work was lost since the automatic save).

I then open up Word or Excel again, but if I call the file I was working on, it appears as a read-only file, because Microsoft tells me that someone elso on the network is using the file. (Of course, there is no network, it's my home computer.) I can then save the file under a new name, or reboot the computer, killing whoever it was on the network that was using my file, in order to work on the file again.

Both solutions are inconvenient. Anyone know a quick way of getting the mysterious user off my back?

Word or Excel is still running in the background as a process. This is why it thinks that someone is still using the file.

You can shut down processes with NT/2000/XP using the Task Manager and the file card Processes. For older versions of Windows research in that direction.

Carol, Berlin :)

In win98SE you hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and select winword.exe or excel.exe and hit the End Process button.

Say yes to the prompt, and try your doc again.

HTH
David

[joinedupwriting]
"whaddaya mean, 'invalid tag'?!?"
[/joinedupwriting]

[lightsaber]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back