Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read-only NSS Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpha9er

Vendor
Aug 29, 2008
US
I have an iSCSI SAN that is capable of creating images of the logical volumes that it passes to the OS. These images can be mounted and passed to the OS as a read-only version of the disk as it was when the image was taken. The Netware box which wrote to the original disk has no problem mounting and reading from one of these read-only images. Any other Netware box has no problem mounting and accessing the original, but is unable to do the same with a read-only image. It shows up in the 'Partition Disks' screen as an NSS partition with a deactive pool, but clicking on the NSS partition informs me that no Volume Segments are found within it.

I'm hoping someone with an understanding of the Netware filesystem can shed some light on why this is the case, or what I might do to further troubleshoot the issue. Thanks.

I think your problem lies with the fact that you are trying to present a read only volume to Netware. I know you can do this with local media ie the CDDVD functions in NSS but this mounts local media without a pool as it knows its read only and temporoary. (but you can mount an image file in NSS if the image is local and make it read only.) Presenting a RO device to Netware prevents NSS from being able to write to the headers of the device and therefore can't recognise it properly. I tested it here on my SAN and got similar results. If you mark the SAN volume as Read/Write temporarily you should be able to mount it. I am not using ISCSI here so the results I have may not be completely the same for you with ISCSI but I believe the principles are the same. You may get the answer you are looking for at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back