Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read Only Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWChowd

Programmer
May 26, 2002
US
I am wondering if anyone can tell me if setting a database will improve the performance of a database. I have a data warehouse which is only updated once a week. I've read a few articles that allude to improved performance by setting a database to read only.

Thanks in advance.
NWChowd

======================================
"I wish that I may never think the smiles of the great and powerful a sufficient inducement to turn aside from the straight path of honesty and the convictions of my own mind."
-David Ricardo, classical economist

I don't see how changing the database to read only will emprove performance.

You'll want to look at your indexes, updating your stastics, RAID configuration, RAID level, disk caching, CPU speed, number of CPUs, file group layout, file layout, etc.

We'll need more details before we can be more specific.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

I was able to find the article regarding Read Only databases.

Apparently, SQL Server will disable locking in the database, which may speed things up a bit.

The caveat is that when the database is set to Read Only, statistics cannot be updated, DBCC commands will not work, indexes cannot be updated, etc.

In my situation(weekly db updates), I could simply turn off Read Only during the data update, Re-index, etc. and then turn the Read Only back on.

just a thought.
NW Chowd

"I wish that I may never think the smiles of the great and powerful a sufficient inducement to turn aside from the straight path of honesty and the convictions of my own mind."
-David Ricardo, classical economist

It should only speed up the database is locking is your problem.

I'd look more into the things I mentioned above.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back