Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read Only Computer Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazmire

Technical User
Sep 25, 2009
GB
Hi there, I'm new to TekTips - was recommended by a friend, so here goes:

I have a group of servers that I want to give read only access to remote computer management to our tier 2 team. Currently, these users are restricted and don't have any access to these servers at all. Tier 3 have domain admins and inherit RDP and remote control as would be expected, but Tier 2 are looking to do some more investigation before passing calls to tier 3, hence wanting to give them read only access to computer management.

They want to be able to check the event viewer, shared folder sessions, and look at what services are started etc.

Is there any way to do this without giving them local admin rights to the server?

I've done loads of googling, and found a few things including MS KB article but this doesn't really help me for the other aspects of computer management (e.g. shared folder sessions etc) and also it's quite complicated for something I imagined to be quite simple...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

never looked at that level of granularity, sounds like it will be a nightmare.
have you considered having the 2nd level guys get that information from another source? i.e. they dont go directly to the server for that info, it is available through reporting, e.g. MOM, SCCM, SMS, Custom Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back