Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read only attribute

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrrodF

Technical User
Aug 14, 2017
CA
Installed a program on my win 10 pc at home, ran the program and was presented with a first time run popup; registered the program, closed the program and then ran it again, got the first time run popup again and the program was unregistered. Developer asked to make sure the folder isn't read only. I know all folders have the read only attribute enabled but is a false flag but this program is seeing the false flag as true so won't write in the folder or update itself as registered. Tried the same on my works pc and didn't have any issues at all. So my question is why am I not able to update the same program on my pc (I'm admin with full control) but able to update as a user on my works pc?

I had the same problem with one of my programs. Eventually it started working. Did you make certain all files in the directory are not read-only? It could be that one file is and that is the file the program needs to write to.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

What folder is the program installed in? A non-standard folder location? You might need to use CACLS to set the rights to the folder.
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back