Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read File Permissions / ACLS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lameid

Programmer
Jan 31, 2001
US
Has anybody gone down the path of reading file permissions for a folder to see what groups (or possibly users) have permission to it? - I only expect and care about groups but would not mind seeing users too. That is I need to see group permissions in this scenario but I don't want to go out of the way to exclude users.

I've seen some WMI examples that read the current user's effective permission but I can assume the user checking has full control and needs to read the permissions assigned.

Right now the only lead I see that has any promise is to generate a powershell script to retrieve the information, execute it and process the output. I'd rather avoid using something like powershell that needs to be installed. And I am only conceptually aware of what powershell is so that is a bit steep of a learning curve at the moment.

I guess WMI might have a way, but it seems way more involved to dig around in than powershell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back