Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read Errors Galore - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

khyron

Technical User
Nov 21, 2000
CA
Well, long story short:

Our old networker machine died (SCSI Card toast, harddrive too small, etc. Ran NT4, Networker 5.7)

Built a new W2k server, copied the old nsr directory over, then installed networker overtop. Works fine for backing up data. Worked fine for recovering small test data.

However, any tape before the rebuild cannot be read. If I try and recover, it dies with an unknown error and disables the drive. Any tape after the rebuild recovers fine.

I run scanner -I \\.\Tape0 and it spits this:

scanner: fn 2 rn 0 read error unknown error 234 (0xea)
scanner: fn 2 rn 0 read error unknown error 234 (0xea)
scanner: done with dlt8000 tape 21

I can browse the tape, select the stuff I want to recover, but no dice.

An article I read says something about it being the block size - but when I run the HP DLT full tape test utility, it writes and reads with 0 errors.

Please help

Khyron

Odds are that you had a different block size defined in Networker on the previous install.
If you still havethe old nsr.res/nsrjb.res files, check the block size.
I would suspect you were using 32768 but are now using 65536.

Hrm - I checked, my current nsr.res has 64K in it, my old one has 128K. I changed my current to 128, but it didn't make my old tapes readable.

Is there anywhere else I have to change the block size besides in the nsr.res file?

Thanks for the reply :)

Khyron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back