Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read a File on a local machine using JS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyttviper

MIS
May 15, 2001
US
Is it possible to read a file on a local machine c:\temp.txt and extract a line from the file into a varible?
If it is possible what is the method to use?

Thanks

Dan0

javascript doesn't have these capabilities. Reading anything on the users machine is a touchy subject and should really not be performed if a method is known.

you can use ActiveX controls but is very inconsistatn as most users are not going to allow the activeX scripting option on their browsers _________________________________________________________
for the best results to your questions: FAQ333-2924
[sub]01001111 01101110 01110000 01101110 01110100[/sub]
onpnt2.gif
[sup] [/sub]

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping that there way but i see now that there is not.

Dan0

Hm...

While attempting to develop a JS Word Processor, we explored the idea of storing files on a Client machine. If the files are HTML files and you can locate them programatically, then we were able to find them and open them in a separate window.

It was a strange bit of programming...

laughing,
[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back