Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reactivation of a W2K Terminal Server. Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioActiveLamb

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2002
US
We have a Terminal Server that is used very frequently by lots of people in application mode. The server is now in a condition where it needs a reinstall. In this instance, a clean install is the way to go. The ONLY question I have is about the Windows activation. Will I run into problems activating this Terminal server AGAIN with Microsoft? The license code page indicates that I should keep the paper for the rest of my life, but doesn't explain anything about reactivations. I don't want to get knee-deep into this thing to find that MS will not activate the product again.

Thank you.
Jeff Lamb

I recently had to do the same thing, I attempted to do this on a friday night, which was my first mistake. The activation phone number is only good till 10pm. The trick is to call them before blowing the machine away and they will de-register the server and allow you to re-register once the machine is rebuilt.

I noticed in the license manager that there is a "deregister" command on the context menu. Will this accomplish the same goal as the phone call?
Jeff Lamb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back