Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reaching localhost through browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alt255

Programmer
May 14, 1999
US
Is it possible to connect with localhost 127.0.0.1 with a browser on Windows 10? My searches on this site and with Google have only uncovered problems with no solutions. I can ping localhost or 127.0.0.1 successfully but any attempt to address or (any way I type it) fails in Chrome and Internet Explorer ("Refused to connect" and "This page can't be displayed"). Has something changed with this version of Windows or do I have another problem? (Windows 10 Home, Chrome v57.0.2987.133, Internet Explorer v11.953.14393.0)

Add water (makes its own sauce).

Is IIS or some other web server software running on the localhost?

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Which web server are you running on Windows 10 Home?

Unless there is something to answer the browser's request for running on the machine such as a web server, the error you get is all you will get.

You would need to be running something like IIS or Apache for Windows for there to be something at
What exactly are you attempting to do by accessing localhost?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back