Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

re-start freeze-up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullshoot

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
When i try to restart this system, it hangs up right after it says "initializing plug and play cards".
next line is "card-01 op13-sa2 sound board".
curser goes back to left and system just sits there.
drivers are all loaded and sound card seems to be working fine.
I have looked all thru bios and cant find anything that i might turn on or off.

This is a 200mhz pentium system with award bios v4.51.
System will boot up fine from a cold start or if i turn it off and wait about 60 seconds and turn it back on.
Got any ideas??????
Any help is appreciated.
Let me know if more info is needed at wpashe@citcom.net
Thanks in advance.

pull the card and see if the computer boots. If the computer still doesn't boot you've got a problem somewhere else. Obviously there's an incompatibility there somewhere. But go through all your boards one by one till you can reboot your computer as many times as you want without it freezing.

Good luck,

Andrew

Thanks for the reply....
I removed the sound card and got the same thing. Next i removed the modem. Problem is gone. I installed a different modem and got the same problem. There has to be a conflict somewhere with the irq or something.

I kept looking in the bios and changing things. i came to the setting that said "pci irq activated by:" the choices were "level" and "edge". it was set on level and i changed it to edge. the problem is fixed.

Now, just what did this change. Does anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back