Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RE-SPAWNING TOO RAPIDLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

john2001

Programmer
Dec 20, 2001
DE
hello everyone,

i got this error using "errpt" command.

LABEL : INIT_RAPID
:
:
Detail Data : Software Error Code
Command is re-spawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.

Command
id: tty0 "/usr/sbin/getty /dev/tty0"

aside from this error, i can hear that my HD's making unnecessary noise.

is it a symptom of Hard Disk problem? or near-retirement? do i have to replace the Hard Disk soon?

Hi, john2001.

I've seen this problem mentioned many times in this forum, so I did a keyword search on getty. I found the following from AndyBo, who posted it March 29, 2000. If it works for you, the thanks go to AndyBo.

here is what AndyBo wrote:

=================================

When I've seen this in the past, it's usually associated with a serial terminal that's recently been removed from the system (or maybe it's broken and no longer communicating).

Does the message mention "getty" at all? If so, then you've got this problem. There should also be a "tty" number mentioned in the error message.

Login (or switch to) "root" and edit /etc/inittab with your favourite text editor and locate the line that contains the tty number from the error message. Then change the "respawn" on that line to be "off". Alternatively, comment out the whole line by placing a "#" at the beginning of the line.

Save the changes and go back to the command line. Still as root, type one of the following: "/etc/telinit q", "telinit q", or "init q". This will force init to re-read /etc/inittab. It will then disable the tty causing the problem and you'll stop getting the error messages.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back