Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-sizing a layer and centering it on the work area 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylebellamy

Programmer
Jan 24, 2002
US
I know I should know this but for the life of me I can't figure it out!

I am creating a sign for a client in Illustrator and part of what he wants is a mock up of how the sign will look on the building. Since it is a building sign it is huge and so I export the image as a JPG and scale it down using the Transform menu so I can line it up as perfectly as possible.

I would love to just use percentage but doing so makes the smaller image end up somewhere very far off screen and I can't figure out if there is an easy way to get it to move to the center of work area rather than having to drag the corner, move the image, drag the corner, move the image, etc. ad nausium.

Of course I could just re-size the JPG in it's own window and move it but I like being able to tweak it before I commit to the re-size.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Once you have done the resize, select the move tool, select all (ctrl/a) and select Align Vertical Centers (from the options bar) then Align Horizontal Centers.
Or you can use Layer - Align Layers To Selection - Vertical Centers/Horizontal Centers

Nice tip DucatST2, Kinda like Kylebellamy I've always done it by eye, step by step with the grid turned on. This is actually fast and simple, I likee!!

Sam

To be even more specific... You can be granular as to what layers you center. Simply ctrl+click the layers you want to center and then center...

Protip... You cannot center a background layer or a locked layer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back