Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RE:search the database

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamuthan6666

Programmer
Sep 2, 2002
US
I am to design a site where the resumes can be searched using the keywords.I am confused as to how to design that in asp and access database.Our administartive assistant will be getting the emails with attachment of the resumes.Those resumes should be stored and retreived based on the search criteria.

Can someone give me the best way of doing it the technologies will be asp and access database.

Thanks.

Hi,

This is a relatively simple problem that uses the basics of database integration with asp.

I would suggest creating a resume table in your database, split into fields such as Name, address, previous companies, and perhaps a list of key skills/words in order to make searching the database easier.

Its too lengthy to go through all the details of actually accessing and searching the database here so i suggest you try and learn the basics of working with asp/access from a book/tutorial and ask here again when you need help with a specific problem.

Good luck!

Nick (Web Developer)

nick@retrographics.co.uk

I would suggest using a more powerful database, such as MySQL. www.vzio.com
ASP WEB DEVELOPMENT

Just a question I have about this whole thing.. Is there a component that would allow you to read the contents of a word document which could be used to store it into a database for indexing?

This in my opinion, if one existed, would be the perfect solution. This way, people could submit their resume's in Word format and in addition to being emailed as an attachment, could also be indexed into a DB.

Cheers,

G.

Or ask for it in text format and parse it out lloking for certain words.
-Tarwn ------------ My Little Dictionary ---------
Reverse Engineering - The expensive solution to not paying for proper documentation

It isn't to much for the end user, all it is, is copy and paste. You could consider reading the whole word document, which can be done with ASP. www.vzio.com
ASP WEB DEVELOPMENT

If you compare it to the process at Monster, it is much shorter for the user, a bit more tedious for the developer to search for all the keywords, but...
-Tarwn ------------ My Little Dictionary ---------
Reverse Engineering - The expensive solution to not paying for proper documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back