Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-running mandatory advertisements 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillDoor

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2004
GB
Hi All

I have created a package to install an application, based on the computer account being a member of an AD group, another advertisement uninstalls the application when the computer account is taken out of the group.

Both work fine, however if the machine account is added back into the group SMS will not re-run the program. I get the following status message:

The program for advertisement "UKA200A0" will not be run ("UKA00054" - "Installation"). The program settings indicate that this program should only be run on computers where the previous attempt to run this program was not successful. The previous attempt to run this program was successful. This program was previously run successfully at 2006/05/19 15:58:38.

I have had a look in the program settings but cannot find anything that would allow me to get the program to re-run. Does anyone know if there is a way to turn this check off?

====================
Mr Shine him diamond

set the advert schedule recurrence to something other than none/run once

Bascially, the "ReRun" property of an advert has two possible cases "RerunAlways" and "RerunOnlyIfFailed", or similar wording.

Which of these two your advert is assigned, depends on the very first schedule you give it.

If you give it a mandatory/single event/ASAP schedule, then it will only ever get the re-run setting if the program has never sucessfully run on the target client.

If you give it a recursive schedule, then you will get ReRunAlways setting. This means at any time what so ever, you can right click, re-run.

As mentioned in my SMS Tips and Tricks guide (work in progress), the best way to overcome this is.

anytime you want to be able to randomly rerun an advertisement at your mercy, create the advertisement and set a schedule. Set it as a recursive schedule to Montly, and to run every 12 months (which is the maximum), now at the top of the schedule wizzard, is a start date, change this start date's year to 2036 (i think is the highest it will go). Doing this sets the advertisements RerunAction to ReRunAlways, which means that you can rightclick, rerun advertisement anytime you want, and becasue the scheduled executions aren't going to start for another 30 years, you dont have to worry about them being triggered by the schedule, when you dont want them to. Finalise your advertisement, right click, select re-run advertisement as soon as you want to start your distribution.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Many thanks ncotton, as soon as I get back to work I'll give that a go.

====================
Mr Shine him diamond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back