Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re: "When Moving Apps... DPW Thread", Not Always!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GZook

Programmer
Apr 14, 2003
US
Correction: Since creating that thread, I've learned that the Package and Deployment Wizard doesn't work, on the installation side, in all situations.

See the Helpful Tips thread "When Moving Apps, Always use the Package and Deployment Wizard" for a discussion of this. Seems to work for Win 98' and earlier, but not for NT and later.

Alternatives to DPW are given in that thread.

Correction: I ment PDW, not DPW.

linked threads

thread222-537319
thread222-538233

[rockband]

If somethings hard to do, its not worth doing - Homer Simpson
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A General Guide To Excel in VB FAQ222-3383
File Formats Galore @

Hi!

GZook:

I have learned in my 8 years as a developer, that in order for a Microsoft product to work as expected, you have to "work around" a few things.

I don't understand what you say about the PDW not working in NT, since it has worked for me many many times. But I can tell you what I found out the hard way: if you want it to run in a Win NT, ME, 2000 or XP system, develop in 98 or NT.

Yes, my forum buddy, if you want it to run in a later environment, develop in an older environment. You can even ask developer support @ Microsoft. They will tell you the same thing. It even applies to the patches, and service packs. I know this because right now I am developing in a 2000 Prof PC, that has the latests updates. But when I try to install in my users PC's, in most cases, it asks to update THEIR system files. But if I'd developed in 98, my users would've had no problems whatsoever.

I hope this was helpful, and don't give up. For some reason, the PDW has worked for me over the years; I have no complaints. That I would like to use something better? Sure! But in the meantime, "if all I have are lemons, I learn to make lemonade..."

[gorgeous]

Very interesting what you have to say Nunina. It was me that was having NT problems. I am using Windows 98, but trying to install on an NT4 server system it reports things being in use, and therefore unable to install. There were no other applications running at the time, and someone advised me to look for an installer to force shut down and install files/dll's during reboot. I have seen other posts outside discussing the issue, but so far have not found a solution. It would be good to find a way to almost silently install the application, it's an expensive, unexciting time disturbing a corporate companies network. Don't relish the thought of bringing a users system down!!

Hola, Zor!

Are you using Windows 98 2nd Edition? 'Cause it's kind of strange that you cannot install...

Is this a server or a PC? Because installation in a server (NT or 2000) of applications that have been PDW'd, seem to have that problem. And you are right, disturbing a corporate company network, is no fun at all!!!!

The VSInstaller might be a good option for you. But, like I've mentioned in the other forum, it might not recognize the difference between an upgrade and a new installation. So, you might want to do a little research.

Good luck!

Let me know.

Nunina

Hello Nunina, Thanks for comming back.
Yes it's 98 second edition. The destination machine is a server. I have downloaded VSInstaller, and will look at it when I can get the time. It looks like a lot of reading first before I let myself loose. I did come across an article regarding the overwriting of upgraded versions of applications needing to be deleted first. Oh well, I suppose it would be boring if it was easy!! Have a good weekend. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back