Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-open applications on computer startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCop07

Programmer
Feb 16, 2007
For certain tasks I need quite a few applications open and it is a pain to get them all sorted out at the start of each session. Is there a way in which I can save a list of all the apps open at a moment in time and later (perhaps another day) re-open them all just as they were by restoring the saved layout (or whatever) file?

Other sollution could be a bat file that will start the applications. Pretty simple and straightforward

If you always want them to run, you can add them to the Start > Programs > Start

Cheers,
Dian

I've a feeling what Steve is asking (I may be wrong)..

Say he had Word, Paint, Firefox and Media player open one day, next day he just i.e open, then could he have the first days stuff open up again another day?

So I guess what he is after is someway of doing a snapshot of what is open and then goping back to that snapshot.

Is this correct Steve?

I can't think of anything, but as stated before, a batch file is the best bet (make several up for different scenarios)

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

Thanks for the replies. Hibernation is OK as far as it goes and so are batch files to open groups of applications but they are not exactly what I am after. Sympology is right - I would like the ability to save various configurations, not just to re-open when I come back to the machine but perhaps several days later after I have been doing other things. If the same files could be open too that would be a bonus!!!

I do not believe there is anything that will do exactly that but I am now thinking there are macro scheduling programs of various types that can automate repetitive windows functions and I could probably set up some scripts to do what I am after. They would not just open files but would also be able to position & size windows and probably even re-open working files. A bit easier than batch files (but probably not free!) but no option as simple as I was hoping - a simple "save this layout for later recall" command. I guess that is a bit of an unusual requirement anyway!

Hi Sympology

Cheers for that! Looks interesting!!
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back