Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re: memo field in SQL expression

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecsrs

Technical User
Apr 22, 2002
US
I am using CR 8.5. My address field is a memo field and I am trying to split the memo field where there is a carriage return. I know I have to use an SQL expression, however I keep getting the following error message: "Error in compiling SQL expression; invalid field found here". Why is it not accepting my field?

Please post the SQL Expression so we see what you did that prompted the error.

SQL Expressions are processed by the database.

As Witchita stated, post specifics.

The Split function is a Crystal function, not a database function, so you'll probably need to use your databases syntax to use a SQL Expression.

Post the type of database as well, what you need is actual SQL syntax, which is dependent upon the type of database.

-k

I found my answer. I didn't know I had to parse the data into 254 length fields first. Thanks anyways for your help.

You don't need to parse it into 254 lengths, you can do all of the work on the database, such as a replace of a carriage return, which would prove faster.

Then you can just display the resulting memo field, just keep in mind that formulas within Crystal do not work on > 254 char fields.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back