Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RE: Lotus 123 crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigma9051

Technical User
Jan 22, 2011
US
lotus123nvl (TechnicalUser) 28 Jun 10 11:44

Using Lotus 123 vs 9.8 and XP SP3 running a large (>2M) spreadsheet (problems also exists with earlier lotus/XP versions, but not with smaller lotus spreadsheets), after copying/pasting large data volumes within the lotus file, any next move crashes Lotus with following well known message "Lotus 1-2-3 Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.."I sent it many times to Microsoft but so far no improvements in spite of the XP updates. I have no access to Lotus because I have no IBM maintenance contract.I have only .5M RAM, however 1M has the same problem.My solution is after copying and pasting large data, to save the file, then move the cursor to a new location, let it crash and reload lotus + file Anybody experienced this problem ? any solution ?
-----------------------------------------

This was an old thread I seen and even though it was closed, I thought I would restart it with a (possible) fix, should it be asked in the future.

My guess is, the problem is relateed to running out of memory. One possible fix is to turn the "undo" feature off (which uses a large chunk of memory.) While in 123, click on File->User Setup->123 Preferences and uncheck "Undo"" (at the bottom of the pop-up. That will release more memory for the program and should allow you make changes without crashing. (Remember that there is no way of reversing these changes [as Undo is turned off] so make backups to disk before you proceed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back