Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

re-installing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharc

Technical User
Jun 12, 2001
CA
I have done an upgrade from Win 98 Se to XP home edition and have been having a few problems. After the system starts, I have problems starting my internet connection and Norton Antivirus programs. Norton is loaded on start up, but the icon in the system tray has a red X through it and does not engage for about a minute. My high speed internet connection will not start for that first minute either, if I try to connect, nothing happens. After about a minute, the harddrive goes through a flurry of activity and the X disappears from the icon for Norton and the internet connection window appears. Any idea what could be causing this? Funny thing is that I am able to open all of my other programs from my desktop during that first minute, Eudora, Explorer, My Computer etc.

I have tried to uninstall XP and start over, but I have since changed partition on my second harddrive and it will not uninstall. What is the most effective way to format my C: drive and do a completely new install?

Thanks for your help

AMD T-bird 900
256 Ram
10 gig Quantum drive

I have not used Home edition!...butr

during the install are you given an option of what partition to use? if so you should have the option of partitions and you can then format as well....I would just delete the parts and creat new ones from the install...as well you can then format....

if this makes no sense...I am sorry as I need food....but this is really simple...if you need additional info...I can be of help if you need more detailed info!!...

CS ***************

Thanks CS, I did the new installation and just formatted the drive. So now I have a clean install and have set up my DSL network connection and still get the 1 minute delay after initial start-up. Everything seems to be running fine after it actually gets going. Any ideas on this delay?

sharc

seems to me that there is something trying to startup...a driver..does it do this even after the fresh install with no other programs installed but the OS??

I will try to help you out threw this...it should not be happening...

CS ***************

here is an idea...after you load in to the desktop and things are hanging...
1)press ctrl-alt-del...
2) windows task manager will pop up...
3)check out performance tab...is you processor at 100%
4)check out process
5)check which process is using the most resources at this time and let me know...you will know this by looking at the list and seeing with precess stays around 95-97 for a long period of time

CS

CS, my network connection is still hanging, as does "view network connections" in the Control Panel. Like I said, it's not a total system freeze, I can still run the few programs that I have loaded on here, Eudora, Opera, Netscape etc.

As soon as my desktop appears, I click on the icon for my internet connection as if to connect but nothing comes up. I then start Task Manager which stays mostly at 1% with a spike no higher than 3% as it sits there. Same goes for processes, Explorer using the most memory at around 15KB. Usage will go up to around 50% when my connection screen is brought up, and then moves according to what programs I am launching.

Under the networking tab, Local Area Conecction utilization hovers at 0% until about 5 seconds before my internet connection window pops-up (it jumps to .03%,.0.5% and .07% in those five seconds My first question is why is the Local are Connection even coming up if the DSL hasn't started up, secondly, should there be the LAC as well as my Sympatico connection once that initial freeze has passed and I have connected to the internet?

I took out my second NIC thinking that since I don't always have it connected to my laptop, that may be causing the problem. Things remained the same. Thanks for the help

sharc

k...so it is narrowed down to your NIC card...LAC should show up all the time regardless of if you are connected or not....now why are there two connections showing up...LAC should be your "sympatico" account?

this might be causing a conflict....can you view the properties of LAC...and are the proper protocals installed is the NIC TCP/IP configured prop....

If I could view your CP I could find pretty quick what was wrong....maybe we should take advantage of the remote admin......just a suggestion......

If I where you and the LAC is configured correctly...as it most lickley is...I would try to find a different NIC card...say a generic Realtec...these work fine and only cost a few dimes....I know you said you tried that already but this is noticably a NIC card conflict or a LAC configuration conflict...

CS

CS, thanks for the help. I finally was just fooling around with the config. for the LAC and found that TCP/IP was installed for the card. Took that off and everything is working fine now and I have only one network showing in the Task Manager. Thanks again,

sharc

did i miss it? what norton apps/versions are you running? in my experience, old norton bogs new windows incredibly.

cheers!

matthew

--
matthew pepple <dot> com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back