Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-installing Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paramedic1

Vendor
May 30, 2005
GB
I have to own up to running a copy of Win XP that is not genuine. Guilt is now taking over as i discover i cannot get any updates. So i am now considering purchasing the real McCoy. Thing is how should i go about installing it. Can i just install the original copy over the one i have? will this cause conflicts? Should i format my hard drive and start again? I have TWO HD one has old data and some programmes on i would like to keep, the other is my main drive again with programmes and data i need to keep. I would idealy like to use the second drive as a backup to the first. While im thinking about it, is it possible to have a programme (Adobe elements) on a shared drive for both my partner and i to access?

Suggestions please

Signed a real novice, so keep it simple

Thanks

bottom line, you will need to reinstall, have to go to an appointment, be back tomorrow to explain.

If the old and legal version are the same edition of XP, Pro or Home.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Otherwise clean install after a format of the drive.

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

If you want to share files from a certain program, that program that reads the files will need to be installed on both computers.

Simple File Sharing- enabled

Simple File Sharing - disabled

Why not try a re-install (install over itself)? It will ask for the number off the new CD. If it gives you problems, then you can worry about format and clean install. Of course, make backups of anything important. I use a program called "E-Backup" by anachis, to back up your addressbook and I.E. settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back