Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-inserting tape magazine takes library offline 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickDJ

Technical User
May 19, 2004
GB
I have an HP MSL5000 Tape Library which is giving me the following problem.

The problem occurs when I actually physically/manually remove the cartridge magazine from the library, replace the tapes and then re-instert the magazine again. Veritas then shows the HP Lirary as 'Offline' and will not bring it 'Online' until the server is rebooted.

Before taking the tape magazines out of the library I am right clicking onto the library and choosing to unlock it in Backup exec.

Ejecting and reloading the tapes from the magazines (via Veritas or the Control Panel on the MSL5000) and into the actual LTO Tape Drives does not actually cause any issue.

The OS is W2K and the backup software is Veritas 9.1. The HP Library is connected through a SCSI connector daisychained into the backup server. I have updated the Firmware on the device and have also had an HP Technician out to replace the robotic arm but neither of these actions has resolved the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards

Nick

I had a similar problem, and finally found a workaround that didn't require me to restart--this may work for you, too.

For each device that is offline, right click on it, and go to properties. on the "configuration" tab, uncheck "Enable device for Backup Exec". Clcik Apply and close the properties, wait a second, and then open the properties window again. Go back to the config. tab and recheck "enable device"...once you click apply here, it should be back online...

hope this works for you, too...

Hi Tesch,

This solution worked very well.

Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back