Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-imaging a drive from another pc on a network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

popotech

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2001
US
can this be done, my situation is somewhat lazy. i have a infant network made up of 70 nodes with no server. my boss won't buck up for the server. i am running win2k pro on all the machines. if i were logged in to one of the machines as admin. is there any way for me to send a new image to a pc will the pc is running.

oh yeah, i will be using ghost to be handling the imaging, any replies would be great!
popotech

A new "image"? By that do you mean like a *.gif or something?
OR
Are you talking about something such as a user directory?

You don't need to purchace a server (but then again, I don't know anything about your application), just put lots of RAM in the fastest PC in the house and use that. Hope I was of some help...
--OR--
Thanks for the help...
--Rich

Yes, the enterprise edition of Ghost has Ghost server in it which will allow you to "multicast" an image to multiple workstations. I have it installed on a windows 2k pro machine in my network and have used it to image 10 machines at a time. The best thing is it takes the same amount of time to image the 10 as it does one! You can use the boot disk wizard in it to create 10 different ip boot disks (obviously you need to give each disk a different ip #) and boot the 10 machines and select multicast.

It's a great utility to use.

Hmmm,

Sorry, I am not familiar with that kinda thing.
I can tell you that if your application isn't too server intensive, you can use a desktop PC (or two or three, but by then, you could've purchaced a medium duty headless sever) as a server. That is what I did, but the network was only about a dozen terminals. It worked pretty good, actually. The server was more like a snap server though, it was used to store documents and records and stuff. I did that because that machine was the only one on site with Windows 2000, and the rest of them were 98's and ME's. The objective was to secure the data, and protect it. I just set the terminals up to use the 2K machine as a network drive. Still working great.
However, if you application (with 70 or so PC's) is server intensive, get a server (or attatch an air conditioner to the side of the machine acting as a server to keep it from "letting the magic smoke out").

Sorry I couldn't help ya with the imaging thing, but good luck! Just keep asking in this forum, somebody will be able to asnwer question, I'm sure.

Take it easy, Hope I was of some help...
--OR--
Thanks for the help...
--Rich

Hey Pevdaddy don't all the machines have to be identical hardware/hard drive wise? If not Please let me know. Thanks

yeah, that is best. But as long as the Hal works they should boot. You then might have to reinstall odd drivers if they aren't similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back