Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RE: going for the 4th time - ENDING

Status
Not open for further replies.

h5n1

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
AU
Dear all, recall my last post on going for the 4th time:

1st attempt: 821 / 849
2nd attempt: 770 / 849
3rd attempt: 834 / 849
4th attempt (today): 910 / 849

I FEEL GOOD.....DA DA DA DA DUM.....

=)

Congrats!!! Great score. I bet you REALLY know you stuff by now :)

A+, Net +, Security +, MCP, on my way to being an MCSA

Congrats man!! My co-worker got a 889 2 days ago.

R. Corrigan Jr.
Network+, (working on CCNA)

My third time was last week. I got a 796. I am really not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have the TestOut course on disk, taken classes, read two books, and used how2pass study guides and test sims. I'm ready to pull my hair out.

eastinthewest,

The one thing you did not say was that you have a home CCNA lab for hands-on practice - not a sim but a real Cisco lab! 3 routers and 2 switches.

One that you went out and researched the different routers, learned and understood the different cables, IOS, DRAM, FLASH etc. Then you set it all up and configured them from scatch, hooked the Ethernet cables to a switch, setup VLANs, connected some old PCs and got them to telnet accross the routers to the different network pieces, understanding gateways, IPs, subnet masks etc.

In the lab you setup RIP, changed it to RIP v2 and then to EIGRP or OSPF in a single area, disconnect a cable and run some "show" commands and see what has changed.

Then you setup ACLs so that computer 1 can not ping computer 2 ..........

The idea is that you need to read the books - then go onto your lab and try it out - nothing beats having to make it work - not drag and drop it into place in a sim :)

Hands-on is so important!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I don't really need a lab at home, I have a Jr. Engineer job in Govt. contracting and I play with stuff everyday. I think my problem is I have little expirience with fram relay. I do well on everything else, subnetting, design and implementation, etc. Since I have never worked with it it's like a thorn in my side.

Congratulations! Love that feeling when you see the passing score on the screen.

eastinthewest,

just an FYI: frame relay is hard to lab because it works best with 2 spokes and a hub + an FR switch. Its hard to find a good device to be the FR switch (3 serial interfaces). However, I used 1 2500 as a FR switch and then connected 2 2500s and had them communicating. This helped me get familiar with all the show commands and debugging for FR.

Or you can look for online labs...I know thebryantadvantage.com has a nice online lab with FR. You can buy 3 days worth of lab time (thats 72 hours) for pretty cheap...

-B

Hey ts8586---he has not passed yet.
Good luck on the next try.

Burt

If it makes everyone happy...I got a 659 and 697, now that is weak as hell.

I got an A in my University class, a B+ in my 2yrs Cisco 1, 2, 3, and 4 classes. I'm not skimming, but there's a reason for that, then it would seem like an excuse, so I won't impose myself.

But I know my stuff pretty well at work.....don't know what's wrong with me, maybe a brain brain Donor from Albert Estein? lol

Peace

R. Corrigan Jr.
Network+, (working on CCNA)

norteldude78,

On Frame Relay lab - Cisco 2520/2521/2522/2523 all have 4 or more serial interfaces and make GREAT Frame Relay switches.

You can also get a network module for the 2600 routers (for that big network bay on the end :) ) but that can be a little more $$$$$$

eastinthewest,

The reason I suggested the home lab was that you might have experience with it at work but few employers are going to let you blow away configs and do lots of the stuff that you should be getting hands-on practice with for CCNA - you said it yourself - you need practice with Frame Relay - uh - how about a home lab with frame relay !!!

You are the one who said you are having trouble passing, I have had 7 years experience teaching CCNA classes at the college level to mostly people in the industry - they ALL always said the same thing - they work with it but SELDOM TO NEVER WITH exactly what the CCNA is looking for - most had home labs.

Ask any CCNP or CCIE here - most will tell you even though they work with Cisco equipment - they all have home labs to practice exactly what they are trying to study - just some thoughts :)

E.A. Broda

norteldude78,

The 2521 and 2523 are both Token Ring routers - but that really does not matter because you are going to use them for Frame Relay - LAN port will not be used - all you want are the serial interfaces.

In my lab I have a hub and 3 spokes with a 2522 at the center for FR - the 2522 has 10 serial interfaces. The 2520/21 has 4 serial interfaces.

Check eBay!

E.A. Broda

Broda,
Im watching a few 2520's right now... : )
4 serial interfaces should be enough, but if I find a good 2522 I'll go for it...
Thanks again,
-B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back