Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RE: faq10-3570 - our server has a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tutmoses

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
GB
Some time ago I put into place a 'block list' using the non-GUI method below and it worked fine. However, some e-mail addresses that weren't junk found thier way in, so I decided to delete the entire list and start again.

Now, a month later, I have a new list and attempted to paste it in as before but I have a problem...

As an example, I've added the addresses "test@test.com" and "test2@test2.com" using the GUI method, and in the TurfTable key, it displays the following:

0000 74 65 73 74 40 74 65 73 test@tes
0008 74 2E 63 6F 6D 00 74 65 t.com.te
0010 73 74 32 40 74 65 73 74 st2@test
0018 32 2E 63 6F 6D 00 00 2.com..

When I did this last time, this was just a list of e-mail addresses. Now I can't paste anything in or even delete the entire lines (I can delete everything but the 1st 4 digits).

We have exchange 5.5 SP4 (Windows NT 4 Small Business Server, SP6)

Any ideas?

thanks

-----------------------------------
Blocking Spam Domains in Exchange
faq10-3570

There are a few things you need to know about blocking Spam in Exchange 2000 and Exchange 5.5. I'll go over them in the following order:

1. The GUI
2. Bypassing the GUI in
- Exchange 5.5 (Regedit)
- Exchange 2000 (ADSIEdit)
3. Finding a good block-list
-------------------

1. The GUI

To set up domain blocking in the Exchange 5.5 GUI, open Exchange Admin and go to the Connections object. Open the Properties for the Internet Mail Service object. Go to the Connections Tab and choose Message Filtering. You can manually enter domains or user accounts that you want blocked. If you want to block all mail from, for example, "narstygurls.com" you would enter the string "@narstygurls.com". If you want to block mail from "venom@boyscoutcabal.net" you would just type in that address.

When you've finished entering the addresses, Apply your changes, and then stop and restart the Internet Mail Service service on your server.

But there are easier ways to enter all the domains you'd want to block, and I'll show you how to do this now.
----------------

Bypassing the GUI

Rather thank typing the hundreds of addresses in to the GUI individually, it would be best to be able to paste a whole list in.

--------------------------
**** For Exchange 5.5 ****

Copy the block list.

Open regedt32 on your Exchange server.

Go to HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIMC\Parameters and find the TurfTable key. Open it and paste.

Restart the Internet Mail Service

For a good block-list you can check Thread10-203769 for a list to copy or go to the black list that Shane Scanlon put together at
For a good real-time spam-blocking tool, I recommend IHateSpam, which Sunbelt Software sells. I think they have a trial version available.

Hope this was helpful.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back