Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-directing .pst files to another machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trotter

Technical User
Oct 11, 2001
CA
How do you creat a backup of .pst files to another PC for safety reasons( hard drive crashes e-mails gone, if I also Back them up to another PC there's a copy)
Any ideas, Running Outlook on PC's

If you are on a network you can simply drag and drop or cut and paste to a folder on a network drive or another PC on the network.

It's nice to maintain your .pst on a network drive (server)
where it's backed-up by your network administrator.

Once it's on a server you simply point outlook to it as follows:

From Outlook:

Tools
Services
Click on Personal Folder (if one doesn't exist add one)
Click properties
In the path entry line enter the location of
your .pst file.
ex. \\ServerName\Folder\YourPersonalFolder.pst

Thanks.BUT when I go to Tools, there is no Services TAB............
I go to the properties of the the folder there is no box or line where I can enter the Location address......................

First are you in a networked environment with Outlook clients and Exchange on a server or are you a standalone un-networked Outlook user?

Next Did you click "Tools" from inside an open e-mail vs with all e-mails closed?

Can you see your personal folder path vis control panel?
Start
Settings
Control Panel
Click "Mail" icon
Click your personal folder
Click Properties
Path:__________________________ ?

Yes it;s networked, NtServer 4 with 10 users running Win98
The e-mail Server is run by an off site Network company that provide us with the service of an e-mail Server, when the user opens Outlook they go through the NT Box and connect to the off site server and their e-mails are then transferred to their local hard drive , and that is the only place they are stored at that point Locally.
Yes all emails are closed. I do not have a location to enter the Path........
I do not want to stop storing them locally BUT I do want a backup of the pst's in case the local PC craps out.

Then you are on a network and have access to a server, ask your network admin to create a folder, accessable only to you, for privacy if required.

Now you can simply drag and drop or copy and paste your .pst file to your new server folder.

Usually servers are backed-up on a regular frequency. You can discuss with your network admin.

Much Luck

I'm having a similar issue here, with our w2k network (roaming profiles & redirected my folders in use). Going from Outlook Express -> Outlook 2000.

I'd like to store the "settings" .pst-file and IMAP folder content .pst-files to the users My Documents (that is, it would then reside on a server). Our emails are also off site on an IMAP server provided by a third party.

Am I to configure Outlook with that workgroup (or whatever) setting, or just internet setting? I quickly tried configuring it with the workgroup/exchange server/whatever setting, but the "accounts" were then gone and as I was only taking a quick glance I couldn't find where to enter the connection and servers settings for the user.

Another thing also.. We use IMAP, so how can I get rid of the POP3-default-Inbox/Outbox/etc once and for all? It seems to confuse users (at least with Outlook Express we've been using so far) that there is the IMAP Inbox and the default Inbox.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back