Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re:Creating a new user

Status
Not open for further replies.

celeron866

Technical User
Aug 5, 2002
CA
I think i need to be a little more clear as to what i am asking.My son has a folder of his own now full of games and stuff.We do not have different users only one desktop with all our folders on it.i know how to create a new user so that he could switch into his own account but what i am wondering is if it is possible to move everything that is in his folder now to a folder in his new account.when i create a new user i have basically a new desktop that i will put his folder on but i do not want to have to install all the disks and reload everything.how can i move everything to the new account and folder.basically everything in his folder is shortcuts from program files.and if i can move everything once they are in his account can they be deleted from my side?hope this makes more sence.thank you!

I'm starting from scratch. How can I do that? Cause when I boot up, it automatically boots from the WinXp Cd and I can't choose any options.

i dont understand what you mean do you want to have different users?

Hai,

Maybe you want to do this...
On your desktop rightclick "my computer" and choose "properties"
choose "advanced", "userprofiles",
choose the user to copy from
choose "copy to"
choose the new user.

Hope this was what you where looking for.

Gr.
hardeschijf

Create the new account. Login once as this new username to create the structure of the user profile.

Logon again as Administrator.

Use Explorer and move the folder from its current Documents and Settings\username\Desktop location to the \Desktop folder of the new profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back