Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re: bos.acct Fileset

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOG

MIS
Jan 31, 2002
GB
Hi Folks,

I would like to run vmstat on F50 to monitor paging space performance etc. I believe you need the above fileset to run it, how do I download it from AIX cds? Or from IBM web site?

When downloading it and installing it, is there any issues when I should run it i.e. when all oracle users are logged off and does it require the server to be rebooted?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Katherine

Hi,

Insert first cd of aix and run smitty install_update and select the fileset bos.acct from fileslist.for vmstat bos.acct file set is necessary.bos.acct fileset is in first and second cd of aix 4.3.3.

hope this resolves ur problem.

arvind

ibm certified aix system administrator

Hi arvibm

When downloading it and installing it, is there any issues when I should run it i.e. when all oracle users are logged off and does it require the server to be rebooted?

Regards

Katherine

If you do a preview, you will find out if the server has to be rebooted. I don't think it does. Users don't have to be logged off.

For a bos fileset I always assume a reboot would be required for the installation to be effective. Given the nature of the commands that bos.acct contains (iostat, vmstat, sar) I think a reboot is definitely required.

Many thanks for all your responses,

Cheers folks

I did a install of the bos.adt fileset this morning on a 7043-140 using AIX 5.1, no re-boot required. If a re-boot is required the installp messages in smit will tell you that a reboot is required to make the changes fully active.

Chris Martin

You don't have to reboot for installing (or removing) bos.acct. Chris is right, installp will tell you whether or not you need to.

bos.acct merely installs some reporting commands. The statistics that vmstat, topas, iostat, etc all use are maintained all the time anyway, regardless of whether bos.acct is present. Installing bos.acct merely gives you the ability to see those statistics.

Let's see... I think we've answered the reboot question about five times.

Yep, it was my mistake about the reboot. Got confused about the 'time since boot' statistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back