Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RE: automatically log people out

Status
Not open for further replies.

nivlac

Technical User
May 9, 2001
US
I have read the thread started by cdbillups on 1/3/02, but am looking for something slightly different. I am using a split database (Access 97) where the front end sits on the shared drive and the back end resides in a shared folder on my personal drive. There are about 20 users. We also have security in place using CurrentUser(). Here's my question...how can I get each user's application to quit IF their data-entry form has been idle for a certain length of time (say 5 minutes). (My problem is that people enter data throughout the day and leave the application open when not in use, which causes multiple headaches for me, the admin.) Any help would be wonderful!

Nivlac

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

"They" say all things are possible, but then you need a working definition of the "thing" (if only to have a benchmark for judgement), so what EXACTLY do you nean by Idle? Once you know that (to some degree of precision), simply set upo a timer which is rewet each time the definition of idle is 'broken'. If / when it reaches the threshold, go do the dump thinggy already referenced.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Ah, but Michael, how do you get the timer wet in the first place? :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Rick Sprague

Hi nivlac,

I have just today completed and submitted an FAQ on this very issue. I have seen it often and offered the solution that I have used. Look for it soon in the FAQ section with the heading "Automatically logging out idle users"

Rick,

I'm old and have some difficulty with the hands, so getting it wet is simply a matter of handling it around ANY wetting fluid!

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back