Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-allocate space from a deleted partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

yippiekyyay

Programmer
Oct 26, 2002
CA
Hello forum,

I just can't seem to find an answer to this! I created a partition (using Partition Magic 8.0)and I am now done with it. I deleted it (again using Partition Magic), but would now like my main drive to have that space back.

I'm using Partition Magic 8.0

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Sean

You normally just use partition magic to MERGE the partitions.

Or once the partition is deleted you increase the size of the remaining partition to take up the available space.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hey johnodq - thanks for answering.

I've never done partitioning before so I was really unsure about what I should do. I will try to merge them shortly.

Thanks again!
-Sean

Have you tried merging the partitions. Don't forget that when you instruct PM to perform a task, it queues the tasks until you actually command it to perform. It is also possible that you will need to switch the unwanted partition to "secondary" before it can be removed.

Hello - thanks for answering everyone!

The reason why I wanted a second partition was because I was getting ready to install Linux. Because of the different file structures, it would not let me merge.

I ended up deleting the partition and resized C to the full size as John suggested.

In case it's useful to someone - I just allowed Linux to create the partition for me, it seemed to have trouble with the partition I created using partition magic (but that could've just been me!)

-Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back