Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RDP - Whats going on? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

J666GAK

Technical User
Mar 16, 2008
GB
I'll try and keep this short and cover the main points.

I currently have a small home network with one server and two laptops, all of them are runing XP Pro. I recently decided that I would upgrade to SP3, but know it won't let me RDP anymore to or from any of the machines.

I realised the WORKGROUP had changed, so I corrected that and can see all of the machines on the network. I can also use any of the shares that have been setup, I can ping the machines and get a response of <1ms. I niticed that the windows firwall had been enabled, so I also disabled that.

I checked Norton(NIS 2008) and all of the PC's had full trust, and MSTSC was on allow on the "Trusted Programs List". I also disabled the auto protect feature, and it still wouldn't connect. I have tried creating a new connection and it still won't work, and its not even giving an error.

Anybody got any ideas? don't want it getting the better of me! lol

Cheers

Symantec pins blame for XP SP3 registry corruption on Microsoft

More SP3 issues
thread779-1474900

Do these policy settings seem correct?

Deny logon through Terminal Services

Allow logon through Terminal Services

Access this computer from the network

Deny access to this computer from the network

How to Disable Remote Desktop by Using Group Policy

Remote Desktop Connection stopped working
thread779-1122045

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)

I got it sorted! : )

Apparantly it doesn't like some Nvidia graphics card driver, installed different drivers.... and bob's your uncle it works.

Cheers

Guy

Can you clarify that it was the Video Card drivers that were your problem, as that seems a bit unusual, or was it some other part of Nvidia software similar as to what is mentioned in this thread?

Got Network issues and nForce Chipset...
thread1583-1437402

Hi Linney,

Yes, I can confirm that it was my Nvidia graphics card drivers that. I was given advise on the Microsoft TechNet forum, which can be found on the link below:

I had the 175.19 XP x86 driver installed so I installed 168.18, then rebooted and it worked fine! : )

Job done

Thank you for the extra information, I have those exact same drivers on Vista and XP but haven't struck your problem, perhaps it is also card version related? Thanks for the links, it is something to keep in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back