Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RDP refuses to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

edpatterson

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2005
Dell System 116B Desktop, Vista Home Premium, Wired
HP Pavilion Laptop, Vista Home Premium, Wireless
Compaq Presario Laptop, Vista Home Premium, Wireless
Compaq Presario Desktop, Vista Home Basic, Wired
Dell Latitude, XP Pro, Wireless
D-Link DGL-4300

I have turned off the firewall & antivirus on all machines.
I have turned on Remote Connections on all machines, I clicked the advanced button on Vista and turned on the 'Allow this computer to be controlled remotely'.
All machines have an administrative user named Ed with a password
All of the Vista machines can remote control the XP Box
None of the Vista machines can remote control each other
The XP machine can not remote control the Visa machines

I have exhausted all of my various google search results.

Ideas? Am I missing some really, really basic step?

Thanks, Ed

Vista Home Premium
Vista Home Basic

The above cannot be a Remote Desktop Server connected from another machine with the Remote Desktop, they can only be a Client and connect via Remote Desktop to a Server such as XP PRo. or Vista Ultimate, etc.

XP Pro can be Remote Desktop controlled by any other machine, Vista Basic or Premium included.

You want Vista Business or Ultimate.

Think of Vista Basic and Premium as the equivalent of XP Home, and see what third party alternatives you can try, or settle for Remote Assistance instead.

Remote desktop for xp home
thread779-1104741

I did indeed go the ultravnc route. I'd swear that I've used RDP from XP to Vista in the past. I know I have....

Ed

Probably Vista Ultimate or Business, but not Premium or Basic, still funnier things have happened, but some how I doubt it, not your word, just your memory. Anyway the third party program will do the job for you.

You would be correct in questioning my memory. I was thinking of a new machine my Doctor had purchased. He opted (wisely) for the XP downgrade option hence the rdp working.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back