Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RDP logging where you went?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelleM812

Programmer
Sep 12, 2000
US
Is it possible to log which computer you went to with RDP? I use RDP to connect to many servers during the day, and at the end of the day I need to account for my time spent on each one.

I know I can setup auditing of mstsc.exe, but that only shows when I opened the file, not for how long used for where I went. I can't install other software (VNC, etc.) on the servers since they're outside my domain, have to use RDP. But if there's a utility I can install on my laptop to track usage of RDP, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks!

You should have some record in the Event Viewer's Security Log if you have that turned on and set to audit logon/logoff events.

Thanks! But when I try this, the Security log on my pc just shows logon/logoff for my pc, not for the servers that I am RDP'ing to. I can't access every server every day to see if I logged in, there are too many. I was hoping to find a way to log on my PC where I went with RDP. If I'm missing a step here, let me know. Thanks!

See if you can track down this software and see if that can do what you want?

"StatWin software is designed to collect, store and analyze the statistics of computer operation and user activities under Windows". "Internet monitoring by servers. Tracking all the Internet connections made with remote servers. Tracking remote server IP, remote server name, remote server port (http, ftp, pop, smtp, ...), Internet connection start time, Internet connection end time, Internet connection total usage time, user name".

Have a read about "EventTriggers" in the Help and Support Center program and see if that has any possibilities?

Some vague information may be contained in this MRU in the Registry.
List of recent systems connected to using remote desktop / terminal services
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default

What entries do you have in any firewall log? I have entries like these from Outpost firewall.
9:10:04 AM mstsc.exe OUT TCP 192.168.0.3 RDP Trusted Zone

There must be an easier way, I just don't know it, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back