Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RDP/ICA filter for Citrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

C152

MIS
Jul 12, 2001
US
Hello,

Our NT-administrator asked me to snif the network for specific RDP and ICA-protocols. This is a requirement to better understand how our new Citrix server will behave on our network. Can anybody tell me how I can make a filter for this. I am familiar with creating filters, I just don't have any information on these two protocols. Which protocol can I specify ? What pattern(s) should I filter ?
Kind regards,

C152

C152,

Set up test scenario to capture data to and from the citrix server. Set a capture filter with the server IP address to "any" then start a capture and run the applications that will be communicating with the server. Stop and view the capture and find the source and destination UDP/TCP ports within the packets. Then add them to sniffer under tools > options > protocols. At this point Sniffer will recognize the added protocols. Another way would be to do the capture as described above, then set a data pattern filter based upon the source and destination ports. All of this of course is dependant on the ports being unique to these protocols.

J.R. Savage
Sniffer SE
Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back