Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RDP after VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyd380

IS-IT--Management
Nov 23, 2004
US
I have set up a VPN and would like my users to RDP into their office PC's so they can utilize there outlook if they wanted to. I have basic linksys router and it has the RDP port directed to my server's address so I can log on to it no problem. How can I make it to where I can have multiple RDP to different computers? Is this going to hae to be done in RRAS? I thought maybe if I connected to my network through my VPN that I would be able to RDP by name or IP but it still only connects to my server. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Bill

The router can only forward port 3389 to one IP address. However, if your remote users are already getting inside the Lan by VPN, there's no need to open & forward 3389 at all because you're right, you should be able to connect to the internal IP addresses of the different machines. Is the router providing the VPN services? Are you sure the VPN is working correctly?

The router is just fowarding the ports to my server then it is actually running the VPN. As far as I can tell it is working correctly. I can see and browse files on my network from my home computer.

Perhaps I'm not interpreting this correctly. What connection is made first - the VPN or RD? With the VPN established (but not RD), can you browse or ping anything on the remote network - server or clients?

The VPN is connected first. I can browse and ping my server and any files shared on it but not any of my clients.

billyd380

Which one is your VPN gateway; the linksys or the server you have port forwarding enabled? Are your clients being NAT'ed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back