Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RDNS Records incorrect, how to recreate and keep updated 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hello,

I hade some Reverse DNS records in the AD with wrong details, so i deleted them!

How do I get the server to correctly reconfigure the RDNS and also ensure the clients correctly update the AD if IP addy changes.

I know DHCP on the server normally does this dynamic via update, but we use the firewall as DHCP not the server, so people still get internet if the server went down.

So how do I ensure DNS is recreated correctly and updated accordingly.

Cheers,
1DMF.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

So your lease time for DHCP on the server would be 8 days by default.... So really, if the server was handling DHCP and it took a dive, your clients wouldn't actually notice (as far as ability to get an IP address) for at least four days, assuming that some clients had gotten their leases a few days earlier....is four days long enough to be worth dynamic DNS updates?

Dynamic DNS is tied into DHCP. They go together. So if you want the former to work, implement the latter on your server. If your server is down, what do they use for DNS anyway?

If your clients were using the server for DHCP, you'd merely go to the command-line on the client and type "ipconfig /registerdns" to get them to recreate their records in DNS.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Thanks Dave,

You really have been a great help lately with my posts, your time and input is very much appreciated.

DNS is handled secondary by our ISP , which is hard coded as backup DNS in the IP settings on each machine to ensure internet connectivity when server goes down.

I take it I can add the command-line ipconfig command into their logon script? would that do the job?

Regards,
1DMF.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

I'm only about 80% sure that /registerDNS will work if you have your firewall providing DHCP, since it's the DHCP client service on the workstations that actually handle the dynamic registrations. It's easy to test though: delete any entries in DNS that are related to a particular workstation, and that do an "ipconfig /registerdns" at the commandline on that workstation and see if records show up in your DNS. If they don't, I'm thinking it would be because of how your DHCP is laid out.

You could have clients do that in a script, but I think they do it automatically at boot-up anyway... Normally the command is only used for troubleshooting so that you don't have to restart the computer to make registration happen.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back